Improving User Certainty by Addressing Scientific Uncertainty
What is V*Star?
- A speed probability program that calculates the probable speed at impact of either two vehicles OR a vehicle and pedestrian or bicycle involved in a crash
- Provides a solution to the conservation of linear momentum problem with pre-impact avoidance taken into consideration
- Uses a Monte Carlo analysis to determine results
- Allows the user to choose the distribution of results and the variance of the distribution, so users can be confident in the robustness of the calculated values
- Provides users the ability to choose a range for each value, allowing for certainty in the possible margin of error
By entering the case parameters, (initial speeds, preimpact maneuver, any skidding distances, etc.) and a range, V*Star will perform 4000 randomized distribution calculations for each variable (within your range parameters), thus generating either a normal or uniform distribution to determine the probable speed of your vehicles/pedestrians at impact.
As always, V*Star allows the user to view the actual calculations performed.